Raw Cacao and Date Bites
Why grab an energy bar when you can make something equally delicious? (i.e. the adult version of candy). It's not only healthier because you can pronounce all of the ingredients but its packed with functional ingredients that help you look, think and feel amazing. Beware! Serving size is TWO of these babes.
The high sugar content of the dates is balanced with fats and fiber from the hemp, chia and flax seeds as to lower the glycemic index. But the high omega 3 content is what makes these really special. Omega 3 fats from the hemp, chia and flax are essential to our cellular structure and nervous system functions. These essential fats also serve as antioxidants and help eliminate inflammation as well as improving mood and cognitive performance.
These make great high energy snacks for hiking, biking or post-workout. They are also nice instead of grabbing a sugar-laden snack. Note for my vegans / vegetarians - these are the most potent plant sources of omega 3 fats so enjoy!
- 1 c dates, pitted (soak them in water for 10 minutes if they're too dry)
- 3 tbsp coconut manna
- 1/2 c raw caco nibs
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 2 tbsp hemp seeds
- 2 tbsp ground flax seeds
- Unsweetened coconut flakes (optional)
- Pulse the dates until smooth.
- Add the remaining ingredients and pulse in a food processor or blender.*
- Remove mixture from blender. Roll into balls the size of a tablespoon. Roll in shredded coconut flakes.
- Set in the refrigerator and enjoy at your leisure.
Note: If taking as a to-go snack, place in a small tupperwear as they may smoosh in a ziplock.
*If you're using a blender I recommend the vitamix because it has that hand tool that you can push the ingredients down. Your blender may get a little overheated - just let it cool before getting back to it.