Coconut Milk Yogurt
One of my biggest nutrition pet peeves is when food masquerades itself as healthy when it's really not. This is usually the case with yogurt - while many of us believe it is healthy for us (all those probiotics!!), they are actually a sugar bomb (with a whopping 20-30 grams of sugar per serving!).
This is why I have fall in love with making my own yogurt - I can not only control the quality of ingredients and sugar added, but it's so easy once you get into the rhythm of making it.
This is an excellent gut healing and immune stimulating recipe. Coconut milk contains lauric acid, which is an antifungal, antiviral and antibacterial. These properties protects the gut from the overgrowth of candida and harmful pathogens while fighting infections and colds.
Oh, and you don't need to spend the $20 on a jar of coconut yogurt.
- 2 cans of full fat coconut milk (BPA free lining)
- 2 tbsp tapioca starch or 2 tsp agar agar
- Probiotic capsules
- 2 tsp coconut sugar
1. Sterilize a 32 oz mason jar with boiling water and let them stand for 5 minutes. Pour the boiling water out and set aside.
2. In a saucepan, heat the coconut milk on low-medium heat and stir until it is warm and homogenous.
3. Whisk in the tapioca starch until completely incorporated. Lower the heat (to the lowest setting) and let it simmer for 15-20 minutes. The tapioca starch will thicken the mixture and the longer you cook it for, the thicker it becomes. Continuously stir the mixture while it cooks on the stove top - otherwise it'll become 'clumpy'.
*I have made many unsuccessful batches of coconut yogurt and I think it was because I didn't heat it for long enough.*
4. Let the mixture cool until its cool enough to touch (about 100F). Whisk in the probiotics and raw sugar. Pour into sterilized mason jar and cover with a cheese cloth to allow the yogurt to breathe.
5. If using an oven: Warm the oven on the lowest temperature and then turn off the heat. Leave the oven light on (which can help keep the oven slightly warm). Place the mason jar in the oven and leave for 12-24 hours. Transfer to the refrigerator for 6 more hours.
6. In the dehydrator: Set the dehydrator to 105F and leave the mason jar for 12-24 hours. Transfer to the refrigerator for 6 more hours.
7. Enjoy 1/4 cup topped on beautiful bowl of berries, a baked apple or paleo granola.